Latest buzz on twitter

Learning About Unity From The Trinity
14 replies
John 16:8-15 "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you." Has anyone studied this passage or heard any sermons or teachings on it? I find it intriguing to learn about the Trinity from the lips of Jesus Himself. It's amazing to hear the Son of God speaking freely about the Father, Himself and the Holy Spirit in the same breath. I haven't any theological letters after my name but have gleaned the following: Although showing distinct characters or persons, they are not separated. Each person of the trinity has a "role to play" that is closely linked to the others' roles. They remain as One for a greater effect than if they were competing with different wills and voices. Although there is no hierarchy of power or importance, there seems to be a natural flow from one to the other - especially in revelation of God to man. We cannot isolate one aspect of the trinity to our liking and disregard the others, following one naturally leads to following "all" parts of the triune God. The relationship between each other is love, service, truth and the glory of God. It's as if God knew that at some point we would need a helping hand with a model for inter-church dialogue and unity :) Further thoughts?
Christus. Cras, hodie, semperque. http://www.facebook.com/laurencemurray
Love it... love you thoughts and the age, age, AGE old topic of the Trinity, it's always good to be reminded about the God that we serve... On thought that i would add, it's not so much about the Trinity but about our heir-ship with Christ as son/daughters of God... when a child was adopted in the early 1st century... it would receive full rights of the true child... anything the true child was heir to was equally shared with adopted child (even though it could be way younger)... i believe this was a Roman law and Paul when wrote this to the Romans in his letter (Romans 8:17). "And if children, then heirs (namely, heirs of God and also fellow heirs with Christ) - if indeed we suffer with him so we may also be glorified with him." So we are, in inheritance, equal with Christ (again not in a way of saying we are equal in character, quality with God) but we are heirs with Christ and receive equal treatment as the Son... kool thought at least for me And as a reminder, please correct me if i'm wrong... this is only stuff i have heard and not true researched myself, but my source is, personally, extreamly creditable.
It's a dance - I see them dancing in a circle reaching out to one another. It's a model of relationship and interdependence. The true heart of things is not a lone powerful figure, but a relationship of love. 'Each and everybody is hiding, each is concealing the place where his heart beats.' Daniel Barenboim (conductor, pianist, peacemaker)
'Each and everybody is hiding, each is concealing the place where his heart beats.' Daniel Barenboim (conductor, pianist, peacemaker)
It seems like a good time to kick start this thread. The idea of corporate unity is a very neglected outworking of the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 4:3-6 Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to one hope when you were called— one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. A community is Spirit-led to the extent that they are united in their working for the Kingdom of God. Discuss!
Good point Paul, I can that agrees with what I've experienced in life. It seems to me that when Christians start going at eachother the focus of the conversation and actions inevitably shifts from a "humbled before God" stance to a "I'll interpret God" stance; that's not very concise, but I lack a better alternative to explain the moments of discord I've witnessed in Christian circles. Unity is important and largely ignored; maybe because we value the individual so much in Western culture the community falls 2nd? It seems some folks value unity more if surrounded by those they agree with. Others seem to be hyper-passive and call it unity. The sticky thing for me in this is, how would the Spirit lead us into unity when important issues seem to be at stake? At the very least I think we easily forget to humble ourselves before God for the sake of unity when reconsiling our individual faiths to the community. That was kinda a shotgun of random thoughts...
I know it's not directly Scriptural, but I love the way the unity and relating within the Trinity is illustrated in The Shack. A lovely picture of submission, preferring one another and the distinct and appropriate 'roles' of each person.
www.thepointchurch.co.uk
I know what Im gonna say prob wont be popular in the cool christian circles.... but some people would say that the shack is heretical regarding the trinity..... I don't see whats wrong with goin and studyin over, praying over, meditating over scripture to get a better understanding of the trinity? Some might call it groundbreaking.
"Anytime a [religious leader] has to wear a dress, something theologically has really gone sideways for me,unless it's a Jedi robe. I would totally wear a Jedi robe." - Mark Driscoll
Oh please, not the 'H' word again...
www.thepointchurch.co.uk
Snotster, Do you think the Shack portrays the Trinity in a way that is unhelpful? If so, in what way? I have to confess to not having read it, so I can't really comment.
I recommend you do read it, if you can, Paul. Personally, I think it's a fantastic book. It's a novel, and it could be said to be allegorical, but for me it paints a wonderful picture of the Trinity. It's true that there has been a fair amount of criticism of the book, but from what I've read much of this has been superficial. Call me a soppy old wuss, but it's still the only book that's had me in tears reading it on the train home..!
www.thepointchurch.co.uk
It's been a book I've been meaning to look at for a while, mostly because of the wider variety of opinions that goes with it. Maybe I'll get round to it before the year is out!