Latest buzz on twitter

Hobbies
29 replies

Well... nothing quite like a sausage that's been utterly cremated on the outside, but still manages to be raw in the middle. Chaps down my neck of the woods are learning different. They all took the mick until they had a taste...

Joe

"One, two, three, here we go..."
... follow me on Twitter @JJBHargreaves

Yes, real ale is a love of mine too (anyone going to the GBBF in London in August?) and I'm looking forward to moving down to Sussex later in the year - home of the greatest English ale: Harvey's. I'm also an avid and quite dedicated lover of Belgian Beer, and we organise blokey church weekend trips to Belgium most years.

I still can't bear to part with my Canon EOS50. £600 brand new and now worth about a tenner on ebay. But put a decent transparency film emulsion through it and it'll give you far, far better pictures than even the best digital SLR. Very sad, and not really a step forward, eh?

www.thepointchurch.co.uk

Oh I don't know... time and a place for every ale. I've had some very good ones from across the country, and like a bit of everything. Even in Wales, where the beer wasn't supposed to be that good, i've found some good local brewers.

I agree with you on the camera front... my digital SLR produces perfectly acceptable results, but they're just that... acceptable. My old film cameras - even the cheap ones - were brilliant. Lovely vivid colours. And I generally got better shots, reason being I had to think far more about each frame, as it was costing me money...

Still, i'm sure a better lens would solve a lot of that.

Joe

Absolutely, Joe. Nothing like £12 for 36 shots of Fuji Velvia slide film to concentrate the mind into producing the very best shots you can - fully manual, of course!

www.thepointchurch.co.uk

£12???

You're being ripped off my son. 7dayshop is where it's at. Go check it out.

Joe

I'm talking about before the internet, Joe, with processing in a proper and respectable photo developers. I haven't bought tranny film for years, so would have no idea of the price now. What I do know if that it won't be made for much longer...

PS: The relationship between us that you allege is almost certainly a physiological impossibility... ;)

www.thepointchurch.co.uk

Fiver for a roll of film, and then I used to be able to get E6 development cards from them. But I agree. It'll fade away... there'll always be some people using it still though...

PS. You're a Londoner also, get over it (said in my best Welsh accent)...

Joe

The GBBF sounds really interesting Matt! When exactly were you planning on going? Because if I can get time, it'd be great to meet up over some ale!

"I fly RC helicopters when I have the time (and money). I know what you're thinking: another sad and lonely past-time for an anoraky-muso-worship-leader. And you're probably right..."

I was thinking that sounded amazingly cool! I'm not sure if that makes you cool, or me an "anoraky-muso-worship-leader"? I've tried flying those things before, damn difficult things to control. I gave up in the end!

Niall, not sure yet, but it's on at Earl's Court 3-7 August. I'd love to go, but just not yet sure if I can work it around work commitments. http://gbbf.camra.org.uk/home

Michael, flying RC helicopters is indeed both amazingly cool (well, I think so) and also incredibly difficult (most definitely so). That's one reason I bought one. As a famous man once said "we choose to do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard". Without boring you with heli tecno-speak, it's incredibly satisfying to be able to hover a machine that requires constant stick inputs because it is inherently unstable. It's a long, expensive and steep learning curve, but bags of fun.

www.thepointchurch.co.uk